A pediatric dentist is a dentist who has chosen to receive additional training and certification in dentistry for children. The benefits of seeing a pediatric dentist include:
- Additional knowledge and training to spot problems with developing teeth
- Experience and skill performing dental procedures on smaller teeth
- Training to manage children's behavior
- Understanding of how to safely use sedation in children
- Experience that allows for better advice regarding thumbsucking, pacifier use, and other concerns that occur in early childhood
- Understanding of how nutrition and healthcare are linked to proper tooth development
Parents today understand the importance of seeing a specialist who is trained in the care of children. Seeing a pediatric dentist is an important part of your child's overall healthcare plan.