Orthodontic Home Care Instructions
When you get your braces or orthodontic appliance, you may feel general soreness in your mouth, and your teeth may be tender to biting pressure for three to five days. Rinsing your mouth with cold water can help relieve some soreness. If the discomfort is severe, Tylenol or Motrin pain reliever is recommended every 6-8 hours for the first 48 hours. If your lips, cheeks and tongue become irritated, you can use orthodontic wax to alleviate the irritation.
Brushing and Flossing
It is VERY IMPORTANT to brush and floss regularly when you have braces or an orthodontic appliance. Brushing three times per day or after every meal is recommended. Food sitting around brackets and bands can cause gingival inflammation and cavities. Make sure the area between the braces and gums stays clean. Try to brush three times per day. Make sure the teeth are completely free of food and plaque.
Items that can be found in the dental aisle of supermarkets and drug stores:
- Superfloss and Platypus flossers are great to use with braces. It is important to get floss under your orthodontic wire, then the floss is pushed up toward the gum line and then pulled down towards the wire to ensure all plaque is removed
- Proxy brushes are very helpful if something gets stuck in between braces....DO NOT use fingernails or tooth picks
- Peroxyl mouth rinse will help with mouth sores
For the first few days, stick to soft foods. You'll need to protect your braces and orthodontic appliances while eating for as long as you wear them.
Foods to avoid:
- Hard and sticky candy
- Hard potato chips
If you have an emergency such as a broken bracket, loose or poking wire, or anything else that is causing discomfort, please call the office. If we are not in the office, you can reach us by the numbers listed on our voicemail.
- Your Child's First Dental Visit
- Preventive Care for Children
- Tongue Tie / Lip Tie - Diagnosis
- Tongue Tie / Lip Tie - Treatment
- Tongue Tie / Lip Tie - Post Op
- Children's Sedation Dentistry
- Emergency Children's Dental Care
- Orthodontic Home Care Instructions
- Interceptive Orthodontics and Space Maintenance
- Tooth Whitening